Thursday, January 8, 2015

Well, Someone's Gotta Do It.

Taking on a task such as fast-tracking your way to an Olympic Games is not the easiest thing in the world, it turns out.

The road to the top may not be easy, or linear. It may be a lonely road, and it may cause you pain. The road to the top is paved with blood, sweat, and tears, as is widely known. But man, if you can stick it out and find the will to soldier on, I have zero doubts that the view will be amazing. 

I am writing in pink today because pink is my happy. It lifts my spirits when they're down and it is the color of my mood when I am happy already. My nails are pink too. It's been a good few days! 

I guess my readers are curious to hear what has been happening with my new steed, the fantastic Right Tyme. I will tell you what's been happening: magic. Ever since my first ride on him since he arrived in PA, he has improved. For one, he has more pep to him than when we initially tried him in Florida-perhaps the cold air has invigorated him? Another thing is Brendan tells me each ride that he's looking more packaged and fancier. And lastly, I no longer always feel as though I am going to fly off at every 'up' post when we trot! I am finding my seat and legs. I liken Right Tyme's motion to stepping on a really wobbly boat in a really stormy sea for your first ever nautical excursion. I mean only that his amount of suspension and movement and my relative inexperience with FEI horses makes me think of having sea legs! But I'm getting them. 
Yesterday we had our first rough run-through of my tests. Brendan has an incredible eye for test riding, and was extremely helpful. After my first try, he said "Wow, he looks really damn fancy." And pointed out places which will be tougher and places which should be highlights for us. His thoughts were extended trot, serpentines, freewalk and working trot work should score 8s or more, where walk pirouettes and 10m circles need some extra work. I was finding the day difficult because recently Right Tyme has gone back to his less forward ways, and a lack of energy or impulsion is likely the hardest thing for me to overcome. But Brendan said he is going to continue to ride and train him in conjunction with me, and I am confident that that will keep him sharper! Closing thoughts from yesterday was that our first try probably would have earned us a qualifying score, but that there was a ton of room for improvement, which is phenomenal! 
Now, I am proud to say that after this first month or so of sports performance training at the Nook, what a difference I am seeing! My legs have toned right up, I'm looking taller and leaner, and I have more coordination. My balance has improved and I am ALMOST able to say that my workouts have grown easy. Almost, but that's not quite the truth. Either way, my gym trainers are graduating me to anew and  certainly awful workout next week. As soon as we reach a level of ease in one routine, they are there to shake us up and make us hurt again! (Athletic hurt meaning feel the buuuuurn). Splendid. *Note the sarcasm* I am not complaining because a pair of breeches that were given to me over the summer which I could just barely clasp now have room in the waist and aren't impossible to move around in! Hah!
This is the truth!

Tomorrow is the first day of the first Para CDI of 2015 in Wellington, and I am decidedly disappointed I was unable to compete! But, I am more decidedly ecstatic to know I've got a coach with a master game plan. Speaking of, Brendan and I will fly to Wellington this Saturday to arrive in time to spectate the freestyles of my teammates, and then to audit a very important clinic geared toward educating para coaches, which takes place early next week. Time to see and be seen in the scene, to meet important folks and to show that we are serious. I love everything that I am learning; the game, you know. Fascinating. I will finish this post with the 12 inevitabilities of success, as scripted by Donald Duck..I mean Trump...Which I like to read for inspiration. Sometimes in my head I even read it in Donald Duck's voice. But I digress. So, when I am feeling pain, or loneliness, or frustration, these points help me to keep looking toward the end goal:

1. You will lose some friends
2. You will think you're going crazy
3.You will feel pain
4. You will almost talk yourself out of it (hundreds of times)
5. You will lose money
6. You will cry before you get it
7. Your family and friends will discourage you
8. You will doubt yourself (thousands of times)
9. You will develop weird habits
10.People will give you grief for no reason
11.It will all be worth it
12. Then suddenly, they all want to be your best friend

I can personally attest to having encountered at least 9 of these things thus far. But I know I'll never give up! Now I am in serious need of some sun and sand-South Florida, here we come! And I'd like to shout a huge "GOOD LUCK!!!" to my teammates who will ride at the CPEDI3* this weekend. May the lords of the dance be with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment