Monday, December 29, 2014

County

A saddle may arguably be the single most important investment one can make in their riding career. Saddles, like cars, are a combination of function, comfort, style and durability. Saddles, also like cars, can cost a small fortune, ESPECIALLY when you (rightfully) choose a brand of high quality and reputation. 

As far as saddles go, there are a zillion makes and models, styles, fits, etc. It is absolutely best to research and compare different ones. I am personally of the belief that the comfort of the horse is the most important factor in saddle shopping. The rider needs to be comfortable and secure, of course and able to hold correct position, but the horse's back is the most at risk. Thus, I always advise to find the best fit for the horse first and foremost and not worry too much if your comfort is a little compromised. 
before our County dreams came true

As far as saddles go, County Saddlery is a cut above most American brands, and are widely known for the benefits to both horse and rider. My coach, Brendan Curtis *USDF Gold Medalist* swears by this brand, and steers all his clients toward them when they are in need of a new one. He's told me that over the 20+ years of his riding career, he's tried many a saddle and he will always go to County first, as they have met every possible standard and never steered him wrong. 

As luck would have it, County Saddlery agreed to sponsor me with one of their saddles to aid me in trying to make the 2016 Paralympic Team. I was so pleasantly surprised when after I wrote to the company asking for a saddle, the president, Gene Freeze responded to me in the affirmative! I had been concerned about finding a way to purchase a saddle for my new gorgeous steed, Right Tyme, because with a horse of this caliber, you want to do every detail right. I knew I wanted a County, but wasn't going to be able to afford one anytime soon. So, on a whim, I reached out to the company through their website's "contact us" section, explained my intent, who I am, what my accomplishments are thus far, and where I am now, and went right ahead and asked for a saddle. It took very little time for Mr. Freeze to reply, and he was very complimentary and wonderfully helpful. 

Shortly thereafter, an appointment was set up for County rep Roxanne Bowman to come to Flintrock with demo saddles to try to fit my boy and me with a saddle. Lo and behold, we found a match! Our fitting was today, and Roxanne's first guess was the magic one. I's a 16.5" Perfection-my personal favorite of the brand's line, a medium tree, and it is gorgeous. it feels like it just sucks me into the horse's back and locks me in, and it's unbelievably comfortable. My handsome boy took the opportunity to act up a bit today, but nothing terrible, and I felt perfectly stable anyway! 

Just to put the icing on the cake, Roxanne threw in a gorgeous no-slip pad as an added gift. It sports the County logo so that I can show off my awesome sponsors at shows. They adjusted the flocking on sight to fit my boy, and once he muscles up and reaches his top fitness again, we will be unstoppable!! I am so honored, and so grateful to be backed by this proven and respected brand, and I will happily advocate to everyone who's looking for saddles! What a day (and MONTH) it's been. THANKS COUNTY SADDLERY!!!

The best of the best

No comments:

Post a Comment