Monday, November 17, 2014

PLUG IN

One of my previous coach's favorite phrases when teaching was, "plug in." It was what she would tell us when we needed to sit deeper into the horse, or when there was too much daylight between our butts and the saddles. It is an odd thing to say and made us all giggle, but man that lesson really sunk in today.
Enter Ringo, Le Crazy Bucking Bronco of the Century!
It started out like a normal day. Brendan had another lesson going on so I was doing my own thing whilst he taught the other student and kept half an eye on me. Ringo didn't feel off or ornery, and I started out to the right lead canter. Things immediately took a certain turn when the thoroughbred let out a buck and squeal, and the situation escalated quickly. I ignored the naughty behavior, calmly insisted he get back under control, and revisited the issue. We had several of what I think are the best canter transitions that I've ever had on this horse, with the result being the most uphill and collected right lead I've had. Then, Ringo proceeded to lurch his head down and swing it around, equal and absolutely take off on a bucking spree. 
I mean rodeo status. We went up, we went down, we spun and had all 4 feet off the ground, we grunted and kicked and made piggy squeals. Ultimate horse tantrum. He was most decidedly trying to launch me into the stratosphere. Without doubt, the nuttiest meltdown I've ever had the pleasure of riding. I think I counted at least 6 bucks in a row with crow hops, half rears and head swinging in between, and guess what?

I. Stayed. On. 
I lost count after about 5 of these


I'm telling you it was like being in a trance. I literally just sat there, plugged into his saddle, not even the SLIGHTEST imbalance. I could have put mascara on if I'd had some. My heart rate didn't even change. We just went merrily bucking and ripping around the perimeter of the arena (Brendan all agog and trying to figure out where he should stand to catch me) And I sat there and may as well have done the royal wave. I somehow even managed to avoid all 5 jumps set up without crashing or jumping. Controlled chaos at it's best. 

Lady Boss.

When I'd regained control, the mother of the other girl riding was just staring at me and said "My god I can't believe you stayed on. Are you O.K?!" I just shrugged my thanks and rode on, back to right lead canter. 

Unfortunately, it seems Ringo may have reached the end of his dressage career. Brendan had me quit early, not because he was worried about my safety but because apparently what caused this explosion seems to have been pain. Oddly enough I didn't feel the slightest offness in the horse (and I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to lameness) but Brendan and the other spectators informed me that Ringo was SEVERELY short in the right hind, and it looked to be stifle related. I felt quite badly that I didn't feel his pain, but I am exceedingly proud that I remained utterly calm and unflappable during the episode. I was more amused than anything, and I never once thought to punish the horse. So I walked him and sent him back to his stall. Brendan said I'll ride him tomorrow and have someone watch from the ground to see what he looks like, and we'll decide then what to do. I really hope he's not lame and it's just soreness from work that can be rested off and alleviated! I don't see how the riding I've put on him thus far could have done damage, we've been very lenient and only working on bare basics. Poor guy! No wonder he wanted to send me to China. 

Honestly though, today was phenomenal for me because I found out I am not only a tight enough rider to sit through a rodeo show but that I'm no longer afraid of bucking! One year ago, a bucking horse would put me in tears, ready to bail, absolutely quit. Today I nearly laughed. It didn't bother me even a tiny bit. And that, my friends, is huge! So thanks Cyndy, for making me plug in my butt. (To the saddle). It clearly works! 

Balance is the key to life. And riding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment